How to Apply
Applications for our 2018 Fellowship programs are now closed. Applications for our 2019 Fellowships will be available in mid-September of 2018.
Below is more information about our application requirements and process. For more information our five programs, see the descriptions on our Program tab.
To confirm your eligibility for the FASPE programs, read the document available by clicking here.
While the application process may differ slightly between now and the 2019 applications, the following information may be useful in considering what you should prepare.
Each FASPE application includes the following components:
- Online form requesting your contact information, educational details, etc.
- Short essays (up to 500 words each) in response to five or six questions. Links to downloadable pages with the specific essay questions for each FASPE program are included below. Please be sure to read to the end of these instructions.
- Resume that includes information on employment and educational history.
- Transcripts from all institutions of higher education attended, including the current institution if applicable, as well as from your undergraduate institution(s).
- Two letters of recommendation from academic faculty. (For applicants who have already graduated, letters from supervisors or employers are also acceptable.)
Your resume should include your educational and employment history, along with any honors, awards and/or publications.
We require transcripts from all institutions of higher education where you spent significant time. (There is no need to send transcripts from a semester abroad or for a single summer course.) You may submit official transcripts or your own scanned copies (preferred) of the official transcripts. Printouts and screen shots of online transcripts are not acceptable. If you are in your first year of a program and are unable to submit a transcript because you do not have any grades yet reported, please submit a letter from your dean confirming your enrollment in your degree program and, ideally, including a list of the classes you are currently taking. Please note that a school admission letter or a letter from your registrar that does not include your degree program is not acceptable as proof of enrollment.
Short Essay Questions
We require five or six short essays, depending on which program you are applying to. Your answer to each question can be up to 500 words long. Please click on the link below that corresponds to the FASPE program to which you are considering applying, to see a list of the questions.
Letters of Recommendation
Two letters of recommendation from academic faculty are required. We prefer letters from academic faculty that have taught you in your current or most recent graduate program, although we will also accept letters from faculty from previous graduate education or from your undergraduate career. For early-career professionals applying to the Business, Journalism, Law or Seminary programs, letters may also come from a supervisor or other employer. All letters of recommendation must come directly from the recommenders. There will be further information on the Submittable form on how recommenders can send their letters directly to us through Submittable.
If your recommenders seek guidance on what to include in their letters, please convey that we are looking for the following:
- A discussion of any of your academic work and/or work or other experiences that would enrich this program with its focus on contemporary professional ethics;
- Information about how actively you participate in class discussions and/or an assessment of your verbal and written expression;
- Details about how you have reacted in emotionally and intellectually intense classroom exchanges or work experiences.
- An assessment of your potential to be a leader in your field, based on a comparison of your strengths and weaknesses compared to others who have followed similar paths.
To apply, FASPE uses an online system through Submittable. All applications should be submitted through these online application portals.
The following deadlines were used in the 2018 applications:
The application deadline for the 2018 Medical and Seminary programs was TUESDAY, DECEMBER 19, 2017.
The application deadline for the 2018 Journalism program was THURSDAY, JANUARY 4, 2018.
The application deadline for the 2018 Business and Law programs was THURSDAY, JANUARY 11, 2018 .
Thank you for your interest in FASPE. If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact: